Thursday, September 11, 2008

Faites-le vous-même

Hello readers and appologies for this late arrival. I have been kept busy with a new toy, but more of that later...

I begin with Monday the 1st of September, and the last week of the holidays. During the day I did nowt, but in the evening I went over to see Julie in Sutton. We went for a drink at a nice Toby Carvery pub. We grabbed some comfy seats and sat chatting until chucking out time, then I dropped her home and started the drive back to Wythall.

Tuesday. I had a lazy day but decided to go for a wander round Solihull. I bought Slipknots new album "All hope is gone" It's a good album with a nice variety of styles. Yes, there are what I call "typical growly Slipknot songs" on there but also some slower, more heartfelt tracks as well, where Corey Taylor really opens up his voice (I dare anyone to listen to "Snuff" and not be moved by it) Anyway. In the evening I went over to Adam and Carls with John.

Wednesday... Now Wednesday was a bit different. Iwas having a very normal day, when at around noon Father phoned me to ask if I would accompany him on a little trip...

... To France!

Yep. We would be going to Lille to make a drop-off. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

We started out at about 2:30pm and had a 4 hour blast down to Dover, made easy because of my tomtom, where we caught the ferry. Now I don't know what kind of ferry it was but it wasn't like any other sea-going vessel I'd ever been on. it was a labrynth of corridoors with no obvious sections devoted to the public. Everyone got out of their cars and lorries and disappeared! We found a lounge with about 10 reclining chairs so we grabbed a couple and got an hours sleep. We got to Calais for about 9:30pm local time where we set off, again following my tomtom, towards Lille. Now in Lille they have a Cadbury's factory... I mean it's nothing like Cadbury's in Bourneville, no this place looks like a prison, but our mission was to deliver 5 tubs of raw Glucose to this factory...

... Yes. You read that right.

We were technically "couriering" as it was an ordered delivery, but anyway we got to the factory for about 12:00 midnight local time where some geeky security guard.. Sorry, I mean "Guarde de securite' a la geeky" (I think) signed for the goods and then we turned around and started the journey back home... Now readers, for your amusement, a little game... Can you guess the name of the road that the factory was on?

Scroll down for the answer....

It's not "Cadbury Road" so stop thinking it...

It really is quite inspired...

Someone obviously put real effort in to coming up with a name that would grab peoples attention...

Can you guess?




Yes! It's the good old "Rue De La Chocolatierie" or "The road of Chocolate"..... I mean seriously!? How long did it take for someone to come up with that?
Anyway. We started back home. We got to Calais and hopped on the ferry (after some "pilloque" of an attendant directed us to a part of the port that we weren't meant to go to) which was much more aimed at being inhabited by humans. There were shops, a bar, arcade, etc. We got off the ferry for about 3:00am GMT and started back for home which we got to for about 7:00am where I went to bed! I awoke at about 2:30pm and started pottering about until the evening when I went over to Adam and Carls, I think.
Thursday. Ah Thursday was a good day. It was the 5th of September... At the begining of this blog I said how I had been kept busy with a new toy and it was Thursday that I went to get it. Now unless you have been sat in a cave... On the moon... With your fingers in your ears... You will have probably been caught in the marketing blanket of a certain PC game that goes by the title of "Spore" well I went to get it and bought it home... And I will say right now that it is BRILLIANT! it is the first PC game I have bought in about 5 years (the last one being the expansion set to Warcraft 3) and it has saved PC gaming! Basically, the game starts with a little itty-bitty tadpole-type creature breaking out of a meteor that has crashed in to a planet. you then control the creature, eating food and mating to produce new generations... But for each new generation that comes along, you get to evolve your animal with new parts, different body shapes, etc. You have complete control over everything. When your creature has enough "brain power" it grows legs and crawls onto land, where it must survive, again mating to grow new offspring... when more brain power is achieved your creature discoveres fire (in a tribute to 2001: a space odyssey) and starts a tribe. When your tribe has dominated the land, a city is formed and technology is developed, culminating in the building of a spaceship where your species begins space exploration. It is truly epic with some good in-jokes and fantastic animations. It is the reason my blog is late this week.
I played it right up to when Lank collected me to go to the Packhorse!
Anyway. Friday. During the day I played Spore (what else?) and then in the evening Adam, Carl, and John came round to mine. Adam started his own Spore save on my PC and the rest of us played RockBand.
Saturday. More Spore! and in the evening, Adam and Carls.
Sunday... NOT a regular Sunday though! oh no. After the legion I had to make my way over to Wroxall Abbey. Julie was attending a wedding party and I had been tagged on to the guest list as her partner for the evening. So off I went, only getting partially lost along the way, and got there for about 8:30pm. There was food, a disco, all the usual things you would find at a party. At about 12:20am It was time to leave. Julie and her mum were staying in the hotel for the night so I said goodbye and came home.
Now at this point I usually sign off, but I'm feeling frivolous so I will carry on blogging....!

Monday, the day I officially started working as a supply teacher... But didn't as there were no calls! So I played some Spore until the evening where I took Julie out to the Queslett pub. We had a good night out and I got home for about 12:30am.


Tuesday, still no work, so, again, I played with Spore until the evening where I went down to Fathers like I do on Wednesdays. We watched a few Laurel and Hardy's before I came home.


Wednesday. I was playing with the creator tools on Spore and discovered that I could make just about anything I wanted. Kieron then phoned me to ask me what spore was like, and while I was decribing the spaceship creator he said: "could you build the Enterprise?" It sounded like a challenge so I set to it...


Want to see the results?

Ta-daaah! The enterprise in all it's glory! I then got the bug and continued....



... With the Enterprise D! But I wasn't finished.... oh no...

Because we now have Voyager! woohoo! I then ran out of doable 'Trek ships and moved to 'Wars... (last one coming up)

yeah! Imperial star Destroyer.

Im going to go away and build the defiant...

Anyway it is there I will leave you as i'm sure you're sick of reading now

No comments: