Tuesday, January 24, 2006

2 + 2 = Bollocks

Well readers. I had my interview. I got to Warwick Uni' at about 3:50 which gave me about 20 minutes to practice what I wanted to say and to get in the right frame of mind... Except it didn't give me 20 minutes, it gave me 40 because the people doing the interview were late starting. There were 12 people including myself and after the brief introduction we were split in to 2 groups of 6. Myself and the 5 I was with were given a group interview which was more like a general conversation on education issues, we were then asked specific questions whilst a woman made notes on our answers. Afterwards our group of 6 was split in to 2 groups of 3 and we were given a scenario and had to come up with a lesson plan to suit that scenario, making observations on different childrens abilities, curriculum significance, resources needed, activities done during the lesson and the final aims and objectives that we intended to procude. (In case you were wondering the scenario was for a PHSE lesson on healthy eating) After that was over we then joined the other 6 (who had gone through the same procedure in another room) for a final "summing up" of what the course was all about and what was expected of each student. I was told I scored very highly with my input and suggestions, and that I had the right personality.... Fantastic.....


.... Or not...


To teach any subject in this country, every teacher must hold at least a GCSE, grade C, in maths. Those who don't have to take an adult mathematics qualification so that they can acheive "QTS" (Qualified Teacher Status.) Being a bit thick, I don't have a GCSE, grade C in maths. I have a D. Up until now I have been told that I can take either a GCSE re-sit or equivalent qualification AT THE SAME TIME as doing my GTP. However. I was told by the main tutor at Warwick that infact I needed this qualification BEFORE I could even be offered a place...

... This is a proverbial "Kick in the teeth."

I am going to have to get on the phone to Learn Direct and see if they can offer me a short course in a qualification in maths that is equal to, or above, GCSE level (and to see how much that is going to cost.) I am quite annoyed at this because it seems like every time I make a step forward, the actual possibility of getting on the course moves 3 steps further away. I am on the verge of giving up because the school won't support me forever, and I need to start making some real money. (I'm also getting tired of people saying "Those who can, Do. Those who can't, Teach" to me. It's not like it's an original thing to say and it gets very annoying very quickly when a group of people start undermining your career choice.)

Ah well. I need to relax, I suppose. I should be going to see Underworld Evolution tonight.

TTFN readers

2 comments:

John said...

Maybe the saying should be...

"Those who can, have a grade C GCSE in maths."

The interviewers could do with a maths lesson 3:10+20=3:30=late.

In fact your first sentance alone should get you a maths GCSE
20+20=40
11+1=12
12/2=6
5+1=6
6/2=3
3+3+6=12

You can do it Gaz, even if it does mean taking a few steps back in order to take another step forwards, you just got to keep thinking of the money and a new Mondeo, it'll be worth it in the end.

You're gonna need a montage.

Gareth said...

cheers guys...