Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oom-pah-pah. Oom-pah-pah. That's how it goes...

Hello readers and welcome to this weeks update, posponed 24 hours so that I may blog the Bank Holiday.

Lets dive straight in with last Monday. After work I came home to relax and in the evening I went over to Adams as usual to arse around on the xbox.

Tuesday, work went quite quickly and in the evening I DIDN'T go to Solihull! No,Instead Adam came over to my house where we had a look at the DragonBall Z: Burst Limit demo before heading up to The Peacock on Icknield Street to meet up with Jo and Paul. We sat outside for a bit but moved in when we started to get a bit chilly. A good time was had by all but at 11:00pm we decided to call it a night.

Wednesday. After work I stayed behind to help out with "Science Club" it sounds nerdy but I assure you it isnt! We were basically playing with Methane bubbles made by bubbling Methane through fairy liquid. We then ignited the bubbles for no other reason than the fact that it looks cool. It was then mentioned that due to the rate of combustion producing only the energy required to ignight the fuel (the methane) then the fireball that was created didn't have sufficient energy to burn things as you might expect... And therefore, anyone ignighting the solutuion on their skin "shouldn't" be burned...

... So what did I do? Yep! I picked up a load of the stuff and set myself on fire!

It was brilliant! My hands went up in a fireball but it didn't have any affect on my skin... So then I thought "what if I could "throw" the bubbles at a small flame? Could I launch a fireball from my hands? Obviously I had to try! Now I do have a video that shows me doing this rather succesfully, but it was recorded by one of the kiddies and bluetoothed to me. The problem is I can't uploaded it here without being in breach of a multitude of child protection laws, so, no vid, sorry. The best I can do is show you a random youtube video of someone demonstrating the basic princible...







I did the same thing but rather than have someone ignight the bubbles for me, I thrust my hands (a la: "dragonball Z Kamehameha" style) over a lit splint and watched the flame erupt from my hands...



... WHICH LOOKS SO COOL!


Anyway, I came home and watched some TV before going down to Fathers as usual.


Thursday... In the evening it was The Packhorse as usual. Lank picked me up and off we went. We grabbed the comfy seats, and stayed there until it was going-home time at about 11:30pm. A good night was had by one and all!


Friday. The school bell heralded the begining of half term. I came home to fiddle with the PC and decided that, actually, going out was a bad idea. here I was, snug in my lounge and would have to go out in to the dreary cold to do anything. I therefore decided that a night in was for the best and so that is what I did.


Saturday. The day was spent doing pretty much nothing until about 6:30pm when I went to Lanks to grab a taxi to pick benji up to go in to Birmingham! Gemma was having a leaving do from work at The Bier Keller in Exeter Street. We got there for about 8-ish after meeting up with the rest of the gang. It was pretty quiet when we went in but started to pick up after a while. In fact it turned in to a fantastic evening, with everyone dancing on the tables and singing along... I think I have the perfect picture to sum up how the evening went...


So, Mr. Thomas, how good was the Bier Keller?






Oh yeah! It was THAT good! We stayed there until god-knows-what-time before deciding that we must call it a night and heading off to find a taxi at New Street Station.


I awoke on Sunday with an OK head and had dinner. I then went off to the legion as usual. It was pretty dead in the Legion so time seemed to drag a bit but 7:00pm came along eventually and I made my getaway. I went down to nans for tea and to watch Heatbeat! (sad, yes, but I don't care!)


So on to Monday. The day was spent pottering about until lunch time when me, mum, Selena, Kieron, nan and grandad went for a meal at The Hollybush. When we arrived we found that the winds had bought a nearby tree down that was blocking the road, so we had to park up the top and walk down the hill. We got seated and ordered. I had the 10oz Ribeye steak which is always good. After wolfing that back and a couple of drinks we set back home. I relaxed for a few hours before getting ready to go out somewhere special... I was off to see Lee Evans at the Bromsgrove Atrix theatre! Basically it is a warm-up tour of his new material before he does his main tour later this year. The venue is tiny and we were 5 rows from the front! No photography was allowed during the performance, but I got one of the stage to show just haw close we were...


Now thats quite close! His new stuff was brilliant, and he actually had his script notes in his hand, since it's that new he hasn't had time to learn it all off-by-heart yet! He did two halves of about an hour and a half each and finished with a request... His version of bohemian rhapsody! If you have never seen it, here's a video of one of his bigger tours a few years a go...



It makes me laugh everytime I watch it!

We eventually came home and I dropped of Selena and father. I came home and went to bed...

Which is where i will leave you readers. TTFN!

2 comments:

Annette said...

Hi, I was reading through your blog when you said you went to a legion, may I ask which one?

Gareth said...

I work Sundays at the Royal British Legion in Wythall, south Birmingham.

Nice to have you as a reader!