Monday, August 27, 2007

Bloody Tourists!!!

Well hello there readers! And welcome to the update you have been waiting for! I have returned from my holiday, and am now ready to blog!

... However, before the fun and games that follow, I suppose I had better recap the week before I went.

Rather than spend ages doing a day-by-day account I will sum the week up like this:

It was spent shopping for Holiday clothes, sorting my money out, and we had a barbeque at Carl/Marcus’ house...

... Right, that sorts out that week now on to Friday 17th...

I spent the day finishing off packing my case, and relaxing. At 6:00pm on the dot, Kate, driven by her mum, turned up at my house ready to go to the airport. I loaded by case, said "ta-ta" to my mum and off we went. The journey was only about 20 minutes, and we discovered upon arrival that we were the first ones there. Carl and Marcus arrived soon after, then Adam, and finally Jenny, who had a bit of a fracas on the Coventry road. So we checked in, and waited for our flight... and waited... and waited... There was a slight delay with the aircraft but when it landed we expected to be on and up in no time at all...

... No such luck... We got on half an hour after we should have taken off and then sat on the ground for another 45 minutes (with no air-con) until the pilot got clearance to take off.

4 annoying hours later (what with the heat on the aircraft, and a cabin crew who couldn't give a shit) we landed at Bodrum airport, got our bags, and got on the coach to the hotel. Although it was 5:00am it was 29 degrees and sweltering hot. We got to our hotel for 5:40am, checked in, and got some shut-eye.

We awoke early on Saturday morning to go to the market in Turgtreis. You could buy anything there… DVD’s, toys, clothes, fruit and veg’… Everything! Afterwards we went for a walk by the seafront… Actually Kate has a rather strange photo of me on that occasion… I will post it when I get a copy of her photos.

We eventually got back to the hotel and relaxed a bit before wandering up the town for our evening meal. We ate in a place called Alin’s. It does good food and it’s quite cheap, so everyone’s a winner! Then it was back to the hotel for a quick beer and bed… but not before I bought the air conditioning for the room (yes, you have to pay for it! And it’s virtually a necessity in that sort of heat)

On the Sunday we got up, went for a swim, and went to Bodrum Castle. We spent a good few hours wandering round, taking photo’s (again, Kate has the majority) and looking at all the different towers and the displays inside them. Now comes the point where we left the castle, and it’s a story in it’s self… Ready?...

… Ok, we were all knackered by the time we reached the dungeons, so we decided it would be the last thing we looked at. The girls made a head start back towards the entrance a good few minutes before me, Ad, Carl, and Marcus and they said (apparently) that they would meet us back at the entrance… No problems there… So after we had finished looking round we set off after them after no more than 5 minutes… When we reached the entrance/exit there was no sign of them so we reckoned that they had gone to look round the shops, so we walked back to the Hotel. After an hour there was still no sign of Kate or Jenny, (and Kate had our room key!) When they did show up they were less than pleased (actually, “livid” is more the word) that we hadn’t waited for them… And that, apparently, they had been waiting by the entrance for us for well over an hour… interesting. So how was it that we hadn’t seen them?

Answer: Because we had beaten them to the entrance! They had stopped somewhere in the castle grounds for a cigarette, and we had taken an alternative route out. So even before we made it to the main gates we were already ahead of them. They then finished their cancer-sticks and then waited by the entrance for us, who had already left….

Talk about getting your wires crossed! Anyway they eventually forgave us (even though it wasn’t necessarily our fault!) and things returned to normal…

Phew!

That evening we ate in a restaurant called Munchies… or rather it was called Munchies when Kate and Jenny were there 3 years ago, it had since had a name change and was now called “Breeze” The guy who owned it, Nihart, was a nice bloke who gave us free drinks! (mainly because he remembered the girls from 3 years a go… which was nice!) Whilst there, Me and Kate posed for a photo...





Ok, on to Monday. We got up and went to the Water park! It was a 10 minute bus journey, and well worth the money. The first ride we went on was a 4 seat dingy that travels down a huge tube slide… We queued up for a good half an hour, though. We then went on some littler slides, one of which was actually quite dangerous! There was this white slide that dropped quite steeply. The thing was though, that you were travelling so fast down it, that when the slide drops away, you are left in mid air for a second or two, in a sort of free-fall! I thought I was going to die, and naturally, started screaming like a girl! Fortunately, however my arse reconnected with the slide, just in time to make one hell of a splash at the bottom! We did this a number of times, trying different slides, and racing each other to the bottom. After all was said and done we met back up with Kate and Jenny, who had decided that they would go for a swim, ready to get changed to go back to the hotel to get re-changed and go and get something to eat… So we did.

We ate at Alin’s again, just because we liked it! We also went to book the Jeep safari and the boat trip, since it was the 2 things people most wanted to do. It was decided that during the jeep safari, everyone would take turns driving since that was how they had done it 3 years ago when Jen and Kate went… But then the guy asked to see driving licences, and only I had mine with me…
… That would be me voted “designated driver” then!

Afterwards we went back to the hotel and had a drink. Me, Kate and Adam sat up in the bar until about 2:00am chatting before turning in for the evening. The air con’ had kept the room nice and cool, and I actually had to turn the temperature UP slightly to keep it from being a bit to parky’!

Ok, Tuesday, and we had to be up early because of the Jeep safari… Now I use the word “Safari” quite loosely… The only animals we saw were chickens, turtles, donkeys, and a camel. But, anyway…
… We were dropped off at a meeting point and told to wait for the others. After a few minutes people started turning up. Some got in to a lead vehicle, and I was shown my jeep (a Suzuki Samurai!) it was the most unresponsive vehicle in existence, but it was good fun to drive. The others got mounted up in the back, with Adam riding Shotgun… We set off along the mountain roads ready to explore all the little places we would otherwise never find. Now after we had made a stop in a tiny village, and looked at the local mosque, we headed off down a particularly nasty gravel track…

… Which is a story in its’ self… Ready?

… Ok, imagine the scene: a fairly steep gravel track, with a rock-face at the end and a sharp right-hand hairpin bend. Now as I came down it, I applied the brakes and…

… Nothing.

… The wheels had stopped turning but they were just sliding over the loose gravel, so I began to turn early, but that just made the back-end slide out slightly… So I was drifting a 2 ton 4x4 with an open top, straight towards a jagged rock-face. My first thought was “I’ve fucked this right up!” luckily, however, I kicked the accelerator, there was a loud scraping noise, and the whole thing managed to whip round the bend with the tyres just gaining enough grip…

… Hairy stuff!

… Anyway, we stopped at Turtle lake, and then a house owned by 2 old people who keep chickens and grow chillies. We then set off for lunch at a forest cafĂ© that had hammocks! (and a swing!)





… I fell out of mine…

Oh... I mentioned there was a swing...



I got a photo of our Jeep when we stopped...

And was filmed driving it, by Adam, and then Marcus...






After lunch we stopped off at the beach for an hour. Carl and Marcus went for a swim, but I just stood on the seafront skimming stones across the water, trying not to hit any of the swimmers...



Talking of swimmers... carl tried something interesting...



It was then back in the jeep to meet up with a second driver who dropped us off at a Turkish bath…
… I had better explain. When we booked the jeep safari, we got with it a free session at a Turkish bath… We thought “what the hell” and went for it!

So we went in, got changed and were lead in to the sauna… It wasn’t piping hot, but it was humid! It was also lovely and echoey in there… So much so that you couldn’t speak without having your voice distorted. After some bloke had thrown water over us we had to lie down on a big stone slab for about 10 minutes… It was at this point I thought “this room would be brilliant for monk-like chanting… but I don’t know any- wait a minute!!!!” and so it began with me starting to chant:

“Ahh-ah-ahhh. Ah-ahh-ahh-ahhhhh” or, put properly:





So that started a small chuckle from Ad’ and Carl. Anyway, afterwards we were given a scrub down… Marcus was first and as he was lead away, he looked like a lost schoolboy being lead off by an angry parent… it was hilarious. He had a scrub down and was then given a soap bath… All was going well until the guy doing it, rolled him on to his stomach and started slapping his arse! Well we were in absolute hysterics! I was crying with laughter so hard I had trouble breathing! We all had a turn, though the guy didn’t slap the girls as he did with us…

… Actually, thinking about it, he gave me a few extra slaps…

… know what I mean!?

Ahem.. Well we were then taken outside and was told that massages aren’t included in the free sessions. So we paid for a massage each. I went in still laughing at the whole slapping thing, and this was made worse by the fact that the guy started massaging my feet first…

… Now anyone who knows me will tell you that I am quite ticklish so I was fighting the urge to kick out against the poor sod, who, at the end of the day, was just doing his job…

… No matter how gay it is!

Anyway, after our massages, we got changed and were dropped off back at the hotel. We had a drink, got changed and went up town to eat.

Afterwards it was back to the hotel for another quick drink before bed.

We got up Wednesday for a dip in the pool before going to Gumbet. It is just up the road and so we went for a walk around. We ate at a local restaurant and then went to the beach. We all ended up in the sea, since we had the fore-sight to pack swimming attire, and I swam right out with Kate behind me to see some of the corals and the fish that were around. I then decided to swim at full-pelt back in to shore, which I did, claiming that it was my exercise for the day, and that because of it, I could pig-out on pizzas and things without gaining any weight!

In the afternoon we went back to the hotel and in to town for our evening meal and a beer at “Rock City” a rock club that is actually outdoors.. But you wouldn’t know it unless you looked up! Actually, it was very good. When we got there the music was a bit “hey-nonny-nonny” as Adam would put it, but after a while we had everything from Alice Cooper, to Dire Straits. We ended up a bit merry, but had to go back because of being up quite early the next day…


Ok… On to Thursday (I’ve been typing for well over an hour and a half, now…) We went down to the harbour for 11:00am because we were going on our boat trip! We had packed clothes and swimming gear and were all ready. We had a really nice boat, and even better weather… So off we went. We stopped at a couple of coves first…I decided to gracefully dive in to the sea on the second stop…

… But I didn’t... Although I did end up in the water…

… You can see where this is going, can’t you?

… I got my swimming shorts on, climbed on to the side of the boat, said something to Marcus who was already in, and attempted to dive off…

… unfortunately, I snagged a piece of upright pole that runs along the length of the boat and I ended up hopping on one leg, trying to dislodge it from the leg of my shorts… When I got it loose I lost my footing and plunged, upside down and head first in to the water…

… Everyone thought it was extremely funny… Everyone except me who swallowed a couple of pints of seawater in the process!

After a swim we got out and went to another cove, this time with a natural spring. It was 3 lira to swim there, so I gave it a miss, but Carl and Jenny took a dip.

We then stopped a couple more times before heading back to land. We walked back to the hotel (after I went back on board to get my sandals!) to get showered and changed ready for our evening meal up the town.

We came back for our last night in Turkey. The room cleaners had turned our air con’ off so the room was boiling! My bed was under the air con’ unit so I turned it on and got in to bed. Kate, however wasn’t quite as comfortable, so living up to my reputation of being “too nice” I offered to swap beds with her so she could lie under the air conditioning.

… Ain’t I sweet?

Well we got up Friday, packed up, got everything ready and waited for the coach to come and take us to the airport. It arrived on time and in no time at all we were there at the airport, stood in a big long line waiting to go through security…

… That is until Marcus noticed them open another desk, so we rushed round and got in a much, much smaller queue. After checking in we had time, and money to spare. Since I didn’t want to have to change money when I got back I decided to buy something…



… Ok, long story short, I bought a drum.

I had 60 Lira left (about £25.00) and this rather nice looking figure of a cobra, was exactly that, 60 Lira… But its’ fangs were broken and I didn’t want one that looked like it had been in a fight. The only other things of any interest were djembi drums. The problem was that they were marked up at 70 Lira… I didn’t want to borrow money off the rest of the gang because they were trying to spend it as well… But then I thought “Hey! This is Turkey!” so I bartered for it! I got them down to 60Lira and bought the drum! It’s a success story…

… Honest!


My Drum!

Well we boarded the (newer) plane back home and 4 hours later we touched down at Birmingham airport… We were home. Collecting our bags took a little longer than I would have liked, but soon we were waiting in the car park for kate’s mum, the wonderful lady that she is, to pick us up and drop me home.

So that’s about it really, readers… I’m going to have to stop there because I’ve been typing for a couple of hours now and I need a break! I will post some more photo's next week if I have Kate's (hers' are really good!)

TTFN!

No comments: