Thursday, September 01, 2005

Alton Towers: A day to remember

Well readers. On Tuesday I got to Kate's house at 08:45 to find that Kate, Naomi, James, Kirstie, Rebecca, and Connie were nearly ready (note: Kirstie and Rebecca are Kate's younger sisters and are at Woodrush, as is Connie, who is a friend of Rebbecas.) After some dallying about I set off with Naomi and Kirstie in my car with Kate and the others following me. We had to stop off at the post office because Naomi had to post a package but there was a queue (the first of many) which made us a little late. I got some petrol and checked my tires and then went off to Jennys house. I got there at about 09:30. She dived in my car and we set off to Alton Towers.

We headed through Birmingham towards Litchfield and Uttoxeter. The journey was uneventful except for a stretch of road just south of Abbots Bromley. A car coming the other way started flashing his lights at me. I slowed down because I thought he had spotted something wrong with my car, but that wasn't the problem. As we went round the next bend we saw mayhem. A Renault Clio was in the middle of the road with the windshield smashed in and the passenger side wing was badly dented. On the floor was thre remains of a motorbike, and the rider was lying face down on the verge with, and I'm not exaggerating, limbs twisted all over the place. His helmet was intact but it was obvious that his arms and legs were broken, if not shattered. There were no police or ambulances on the scene so I reckoned that the accident must have happened no more than 5 minutes before we passed...

... Nasty

We got to Alton Towers for 11:00... Correction... We got to the queue for Alton Towers for 11:00. After waiting to park, catching the monorail, and getting the wristbands it was closer to 12:00 noon. Since I couldn't decide what to get Kate for her birthday, I paid for her ticket (ain't I sweet? no? oh, ok then...)

Everyone went in to HEX first, which is basically like The Haunting at Drayton Manor with a virtually identical ride at the end. Afterwards Jenny, Kate, and Rebbeca went on Ripsaw. I chose not to as I was concerned that my breakfast would make a forced reappearance. After Ripsaw there was some confusion about whether or not to have lunch. Women, being women, decided to argue about it which upset Kate a bit. We sat down to lunch but Kate walked off. I decided to try and cheer her up so I went after her. After lunch it was decided that the group split up so that everyone got a chance to do what they wanted. Me, Jenny, Kirstie and Connie went on Nemesis. We then met up with the others to do Duel which is like a haunted house version of the Golden Nugget ride at Drayton Manor. I got a massive score, proving for once and for all that I am a true geek, but at least I am a geek with good aim! We then went to do the Log Flume. Me, James, Kate, and Jenny got in to one bath (yes, you sit in a bath) following the rest. Now why we didn't sit boy-girl-boy-girl I don't know. But we ended up with Jenny at the back with Kate sat between her legs and I was in the middle with James sat between my legs... Lovely... Not! On the way round Kate jumped out of her skin when a section of track ran through a dark tunnel and a giant rubber duck jumped out of the wall with a loud psychotic quacking sound... Freaky!

We then went round to the Rapids where me and Naomi got the brunt of the soaking... We decided to ride it again... Where me and Naomi got the brunt of the soaking.

Afterwards we wanted to ride the Runaway Mine Train but the rides were closing as it was 18:30. Naomi, Kate, and Jenny decided to try and jump over the gate to try and join the last of the queue but were spotted and told off by a man with a megaphone. Cheaters never prosper.

We then went round some of the little stalls before setting off to get back on the monorail to the carpark... Which we had to queue for... Yes, you even have to queue to leave! On the way back I went via the motorway. I dropped everyone off and then went up to the White Swan where I was joined by Jenny, Nikky, and Julia.

Altogether an enjoyable day.

Well thats enough from me. The Reading photos should be posted on Saturday.

TTFN readers.

No comments: