Tuesday, October 10, 2006

parties, fast cars, and lots of laughs!

Well readers, it's time for a blog and this (not so) little entry should prove quite interesting because the title is fairly accurate! (all be it, not in the right order.) So I will crack on with things...

The events of the past week have been numerous so I wont waste time wittering on about work... I will get to the good stuff... Starting with the laughs!

Last Friday was Jimmy Carr night. Adam had booked the tickets months ago and Friday was the big show. Gag Reflex (as the show is called) was hilarious. Me, Adam, John, Jo, and half of Transco arrived in Birmingham for 7:30pm. The show is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going. basically, there is no group of people, race, organisation, or institution that he won't take the piss out of (he was poking fun at Muslims and terrorism at one point... Taking the piss out of Muslims on a stage in Birmingham... Now thats brave!)

After the 2 hour show he did signings in the foyer of the ICC. I didn't have anything to sign so I got a quick photo of him through the crowd...



Here is the jester himself signing for the crowds. After we left, we went over to the Flapper & Firkin for a quick pint with Luke before heading off home for some sleep.

I awoke early saturday afternoon (!!!) and set about buying Jenny's birthday cake. I remembered she said she liked chocolate cake a few weeks ago, so that is what I got her. I picked up some candles and went home to to put it in the fridge. We got to Jimmy Spice's for about 8:30 and I managed to palm off the cake to a waiter before anyone saw me. I explained what he had to do and he agreed. The food at the restaurant was excellent, and most of it is cooked for you on the spot. After everyone had finished their meals I had the cake baught over much to Jenny's surprise.

... Ooh, Cake! It looked lovely and I think Jen' enjoyed the gesture. Throughout the evening there were photo's...

James pulling a grin, obviously Kate didn't notice the photo wasbeing taken!

Um... Does jenny know that she is dating a son of Satan???

After everyone had eaten their fill Me, Carl, Jenny, Marcus, Jason, and Gemma popped in to the Hogshead for a drink when everyone else went home (lightweights!)

We left at about 12:30 and I was both full, and shattered! I caught a taxi with Jason and Gemma and was home for 1:00am... A good night.

... Followed by a good day...

On Sunday Selena and Kieron had planned to go to Long Marston track for a drivers day that Selena booked for Kieron for his Birthday about 6 months ago. They asked if I wanted to go and watch, so I agreed. We got there for about 12:45, with Kierons event to start at 1:30. After we parked we went to the main area and I noticed the display of supercars on show...

Lamborghini Gallardo, looking splendid...

Ferrari F350 looking even more splendid...


And the Bentley Continental GT looking damned fine...

Of course there was also an aston Martin DB9, and other super cars... This is when I noticed a sign saying "Arrive and Drive" This is when I started to get intrigued... I picked up a leaflet and for £40.00 you could take a lap in one of the cars. I paid £75.00 for 2 laps in the DB9 ('cos it's my favorite) and waited by the "pit." My co-driver came over and threw me the keys... Now before I go any further let me tell you that I have always dreamed of driving a DB9...

I got in, and the guy climbed in to the passenger seat. I started the electrics and pushed the start button. I eased it past the Bentley (carefully!) and got it lined up with the first corner. I went round it at about 40 and then kicked the accelerator. It went from 40 to 70 in no-time. The course went in to a chiccane and then a series of corners, a small straight, and a hair pin before coming in to the main straight. The main straight was 3 quarters of a mile long and the tarmac was perfect, I got it up to 120mph on the small straight, and much quicker on the main drag. It is surprisingly easy to drive and goes like a bastard on the track! The second lap went much the same way as the first, with no under/over steer coming from the car at all. The guy was impressed at my lines, and asked if I owned a sports car... I told him I drive a Mondeo and he went a bit quiet... Coming in after the second lap we got in to a conversation:

"where do you want me to put it, mate"

"park it between the two Ferraris, it's less to walk"

"which two? there are three"

"Oh, yeah. On the right then"

"alright"

Parking the thing felt just as good as driving it and after I got out I was given the opportunity to purchase a printed photo of me going round the track... So I did...

Smart. Stylish. Powerful... But enough about the driver, the car looks fab, don't it!

After I got out, I discovered that Selena had paid for a lap as well! I got her photo put on CD with mine.

Here she is on the little straight. Looks good don't it.

After my bit of fun, it was time for Kierons turn. His day involved driving a Subaru Impreza and a Mitsubishi Evo 6 round a dirt track, a skid track and the main strip, before being taken for a high speed ride by a pro-rally driver. He started on the dirt track in the Impreza. The course pro said he was a good driver and gave him 37 out of 40 points for the course. After waiting for about 20 minutes, he went round the skid track in the Evo and scored highly again, because of a rather niffty drift he put in at the bottom corner of the track. The next time he drove the Evo was round the main track (where me and Selena had gone in the Aston') it looked a quick lap, and again, more points were added. When it came to the passenger ride, the driver tore off the line and went round the course in about a minute-thirty.

I got a picture of Kieron on the skid track. Seen here about to flick the back end around the bottom corner.

After the winners ceremony (Kieron came joint 3rd out of about 12 drivers) we headed off home and I went down to my nans as per usual. I took my photo and showed it around (well you would, wouldn't you?) I think my dad was impressed and my nan certainly was.

After a long day, I finally went home to bed...!

Well readers, I am now off to go drinkin' somewhere.

TTFN readers...

poopytrim

No comments: