Friday, October 27, 2006

...Another story

Hello readers, and welcome to a much requested update. At the end of my last post I left you with a sort of mildly bad cliff hanger so I will do you all the courtesy of starting pretty much where the last one finished (on the morning of last Sunday) so that my blog looks semi-coordinated and that you, dear reader, think that I actually plan all of this and not just sit down and type random bullshit once every week-or-so.

Right, on with the blogging (right after I "set the scene")

Sunday 15th October. I had come in from seeing Adrenaline live in Wolverhampton with Jason and Gemma...

I was awoken at about 12:00pm by the smell of Sunday lunch. I mustered up the strength to drag myself out of bed to go down stairs. I was glad I did though because after eating a large dinner (nay, breakfast!) I felt much better. I spent most of the day playing Chromehounds on my 360 and then went for tea at my nans as per usual. I was home for 10:00pm though and spent the evening dabbling with the xbox before going to bed.

Ah Monday... The begining of the last week of school before half-term!

I won't blog day-to-day at work. I will summarise it like I usually do... During the week, the kiddies went hyper due to the pending holiday and the staff always have to work extra hard to control the rabble (lion taming is probably easier) and actually teach them something as well. The final lesson on Friday afternoon was hell. The noise was unbearable, they certainly didn't learn much, and how I didn't end up killing someone, I don't know!

The final bell rang, however and they all disappeared. We awarded ourselves an earlier clock-off somewhere in the region of 3:30 rather than the usual 4:30 because we all needed a lie down! (I actually did come home and doze off on the couch! isn't that the kind of thing your parents do? I think I'm getting old!)

Anyway, the holidays were upon me, I had a week (which, as I sit here typing, is almost gone) to enjoy myself. I spent most of Monday in the house fiddling with the computer and watching TV. The only time I went out was when I took a trip to Solihull to buy Ice Age 2 on DVD. In the evening I didn't go out because Adam, Marcus, and Jenny were in Italy. (I should have mentioned this at the end of my last blog but I forgot) They went on Friday 13th (of all days!) and will land today (the 27th) at about 3:30pm (in just under 3 hours.)

Back to my week off...

On Tuesday, it was pretty much the same story as Monday with the only difference being that Kieron came round and we spent more time on the 360.

Wednesday was slightly different. I ended up in Kings heath with my mother and Selena (Selena had the day off work and my mum has, unfortunately, come to the end of her contract at E-ON) because I wanted to buy Star Wars Episode III. I have the original trilogy and now want episodes I, II, and III to complete my collection. Since I think that episode III (you have to use Roman numbers, It just doesn't look right if you don't) was the best of the new ones, I bought it from WHSmiths... Although that is a story in it's self!

I walked in with mother and sister in tow and spent a few minutes looking at the DVD section but couldn't see it anywhere on the wall. I decided to ask a sales person if they had one in stock on the off-chance that they had a spare few lying in wait somewhere. The only bloke behind the counter looked rather dazed and that he had never worked out what a barber was for. The conversation ran a something like:

"Sorry mate, I'm after starwars on DVD, the third one"
"third?"
"Yeah, episode three, revenge of the Sith"
"Oh yeah, right, uh, hang on, le'me jus' check"
*tap-tap-tap-tap-tap*
"this thing aint workin'"
*tap-tap-tap... tap*
"Ah.. Oh... Is it the film you wanted?"
"... Um... Yes mate, on DVD"
"Right... It's not on the shelf, it's in stock"
"... Ok"
"Did you want to buy it?"
"Uh, yes"
"'ang on 'ere. i'll go an' get it."

At this point I wondered whether he only worked at WHSmiths because he'd failed his Argos exam... 5 Minutes went by before he came back in to the shop and said:

"Anyone got a spare store room key, it's locked!"

One of the other asistants gave him a key and off he went again... Leaving me to wonder just how long he spent trying to open the door before he realised that he needed a key to get in?

He returned another 5 minutes later.

"Huh, I walked past it twice"
"No worries"
"Do you want a half-price Terry's Chocolate Orange?"
"What? Uh... No, I'll leave it cheers"

It actually took me a second to work out what he had said because it was so random that I wasn't prepared for it. I decided to end my journey through the twighlight zone and paid him (rather quickly) and got out of the shop. When I got home I put the film on.

Later on I went to fathers. While I was there he gave me my ticket for the ladies night charity gig that I am attending in November. he also told me that this years theme was a "masquerade ball" so I would need a venetian style mask... Oh joy... After I left I went to meet mother and Chris (Adams mum) in the Bulls Head for a pint (well, I was bored and I'd never been to the Bulls Head before) I got back home for 11:30 and spent a few hours playing iSketch.

On Thursday morning I awoke with a very clear perspective of the day ahead. I needed to go in to Solihull to Moss Bros. because I need a suit for the ladies night charity gig and a "venetian style mask" to go with it. (Note: when I say "Suit" I mean a proper dinner suit, the full "James Bond" style!) The reason I wanted to go to Moss is that they sell ex-rental suits for a dash of what they would cost to buy brand new. Since I am only going to wear it maybe once or twice a year, I don't want to spend £200. They sell rental suits, though, for around £50 which is more within my prefered price range. The only slight problem, that I found once I had got there, is that the shop in Solihull doesn't sell ex-rental because it is so small. I was told I needed to go their Birmingham store, which deals in things like that. Not wanting to spend the day trudging round the City centre on my own I decided to give Mr Robinson a ring. He was about to come in to solihull on the bus, so It was good fortune that I phoned. I persuaded him to hang-fire whilst I came over to his, on the way to Brum. I shot out of Solihull and got to Johns house for about 2:00pm. We got in to Birmingham and was parked up on Moor street car park for half-past which was good because i can't stand rushing round shops. If there is something I need to do, then I like to do it in my own time, at my own pace, thankyou very much.

We started walking. We went through the Bull-Ring and up in to the Pallisades looking for Moss Bros. (I should have asked the bloke in Solihull where it was.) we then went in to the Pavillions, all to no avail. We retraced our steps and eventually came across a shop in the Pallisades called "the suit company" which had a sign in the window advertising Moss suits. I went in and gave them my story about buying an-ex rental suit. They said that I needed the main Moss outlet on New Street, right next to Tescos.

Ah-ha! now we were getting somewhere. We took a walk up and, sure enough, there it was, next to Tesco's. We went in and waited while a tailor was dealing with a wedding party who were sorting out top hats and tails. Eventually a cheery girl came over and asked what I needed. I explained my predicament to her and she (thankfully) was able to help me. She measured me up (everything apart from my inside-leg-measurement) and gave me a spare £350 suit to try on to make sure it would fit. It fitted very well and felt really really comfortable. She said that she would need to order the jacket, trousers and shirt from the warehouse and it would take about a week to 10 days to come through. After sorting that out we decided to go back through the Bull Ring to browse the shops. John bought The Might Boosh on DVD while I saved my money. We got home for about 5-ish and I shot home for my tea before getting ready to go up to the swan to meet the usual crowd of friendly faces... Who promptly told me to update this blog because they were sick of reading the same thing. After getting home, going to bed, waking up, and typing this bloody nonsense I will be heading of out to find some cufflinks to go with my shirt and to see about masks (Oh Joy!)

I should be going to the pub later as weel, to meet Jo. My my, what a busy afternoon I have ahead of me! I had best get started...

TTFN readers.

No comments: